A frontend engineer job is financially and experientially rewarding, not just because of the high pay and job security, but also because end users use and enjoy your work every day—sometimes millions or even hundreds of millions of users, depending on the company you work for or the applications you build.
Our frontend engineering program prepares you to become a worldclass frontend engineer.
Bov Academy Frontend Engineer career path is likely the most comprehensive education in frontend programming in the world, as you yourself will see below in the What You Will Learn section.
- Skillful use of the computer and the either Windows, Linux, or Mac
- Competent problem-solving skills; you should be able to solve at least basic algebra problems
Adv. Fast-Track Prerequisites
- Proof of professional UI development expertise
- Intermediate use of Git, GitHub, and the Command Line
- Successful completion of the Adv. Fast-Track technical exercise (This will be given during the admission interview.)
Areas of Specialization Available
You can choose one of the areas of specialization below, which you will get to select when you fill out the application:
This differs from frontend developer below. Frontend engineers are trained as software engineers, and will thus learn more advanced programming concepts and application architecture concepts.
Only Bov Academy offers a career path in frontend engineering.
This frontend developer career path is for the frontend developer positions you see advertised in most job applications and on the websites of many coding schools.
Mobile Development: You will learn web application fundamentals and use
these technologies to develop native iOs/Android development with real-world API-connected,
data-driven, authenticated mobile apps. An you focus on creating native iOS apps
with Apple technologies.
When you complete this career path, you should be a formidable mobile app and UI/UX developer with the skills to:
- Create iOS native apps using Apple technologies (including Swift)
- Create sophisticated UIs for frontend applications
- Integrate mobile app and frontend web apps to serverless backend
- Internet Startup: If you want to build your own startup or an MVP for your startup, we can create a custom curriculum for you, and you could build your startup as part of your coursework while you learn to become a frontend developer. Contact Richard (firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more about the specialized curriculum.
What You Will Learn in the Frontend Engineer Specialization
(Adv. Fast-Track Students will Skip the Intro Courses)
Typically, we teach you just about everything you should know to become confident and proficient in your career path. We aren't aware of any other similar program, to our knowledge, that does this. For example, you will learn:
- Git, GitHub, the command line
- Design patterns
- Responsive design
- Computer science math for web programmers
- How to become a proficient problem solver
- The art of programming
- The art of frontend development
- UI/UX design; in-depth UI development
- Web Accessibility
- Skillful written communication
- React.js or Vue.js or Ember.js
- How to architect frontend applications
- Software development principles
- And much more.
We focus on the following four core technical skills:
- Problem-Solving: You will learn from the basics how to solve logic and algorithm problems, and you will learn how to become a skilled problem-solver. You yourself will even solve scores, possibly, hundreds of problems.
- UI/UX Development: To be regarded as one of the best UI/UX developers in the world, you must have the skills and confidence and panache to develop refined, complex, and meticulous UI. You must have the sensibility and grace to distinguish mediocre UIs and experiences from exceptional ones. We teach you all of these things and more.
- Domain Proficiency: We help you acquire deep knowledge and proficiency in your area of specialization. If your focus is frontend engineering, we teach you the tools, techniques, and technologies used by professional, world-class developers and we expect you to be skilled in those technologies and tools.
- Command Line for Web Developers, Git and GitHub
- Mastering UI/UX Design (Optional)
- Improving Your Written Communication Skills
- Art of Programming
- Building a Sophisticated Web Application
- Architecting Frontend Web Applications
- React.js or Vue.js or Ember.js In Depth
- Art of Modern Frontend Development
- Doing the Extraordinary: Building and Launching Your Pinnacle Project
Projects You Build
You will develop the following:
- Your portfolio, which will showcase your work, your Evidential Degree
- Two sophisticated real-world web apps that will be used to solve real problems. One of
these projects will be your Pinnacle Project, your graduation project, which you
will start developing before you graduate. However, you won't complete the project
before graduation. This project must meet the following requirements:
- It must be significant in scope; it can't be a simple UI component or a portfolio-like website.
- It must advance humanity in some regard.
- If it is a for-profit (that is, not a nonprofit and not an open-source project), it must have the potential to help you gain some kind of long-term benefit.
Your Pinnacle Project can be an AI Humanity or Bov Academy project. For more on this, you may contact Nathan Plummer, NathanP@BovAcademy.
Jobs You May Qualify For: Frontend Engineer, Software Engineer, Frontend Developer,
Career Path Start Date
Next Session Starts
Total Time to Graduate in Frontend Engineer Specialization
Standard path: Approximately 7 months (recommended study time: ideally, at least 28 hours a week, every week) *
Adv. Fast-Track path: Approximately 4 months (recommended study time: ideally, at least 28 hours a week, every week) *
* Important Note About Time to Graduate: Since you work at your own pace, you determine how long you take to complete the program. We try to push students to stick with to the schedule and keep up with other students in the same session, but only you, through your determination and consistency, will determine if you complete the program in a timely manner.
- Access to your career path resources *
- Access to our question-and-answer (QA) platform, similar to StackOverflow
- Help from assistant instructors via QA
- Instructor feedback and code review on team projects and final project
- Everything offered in Basic
- Custom portfolio and custom team projects (each helps with real experience and increased starting salary) created by Richard Bovell and designed by Sam Chittenden
- Opportunity to build a consequential AI Humanity project
- Instructor feedback and code review on project all project assignments
- Customized curriculum available (See the specialized paths)
- For the frontend, opportunity to take React.js or Vue.js or Ember.js
- Ample time to complete courses on partner platforms (Bov Academy has its own courses, and, for some specializations, we partner with one or more course providers)
- Specialize: Choose between Frontend engineering, iOS/Android Mobile Development, UI/UX Development, and Startup Development
- Everything offered in Pro
- Develop Innovative UI Component created by Richard Bovell
- Opportunity to build a significant real-world paid project for assignments. Some student can make over $3,000 for a project, depending on the project
- Custom real-world Pinnacle Project (significant in scope, advances humanity, and potential for long-term financial success) created by Richard Bovell and designed by Sam Chittenden
- Instructor review and feedback on all assignments—exercises, articles, answers, projects, hackathon projects, real-world projects, and graduation project
* Important Note: Bov Academy does not give students all of the chapters and
courses at once.
Students work on one chapter at a time. When they complete a chapter, they submit it and request the next chapter in the course. A student can request a maximum of three chapters at once and must complete and submit them before requesting more chapters. We recommend students work on one chapter at a time.